Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The enemy comes at night to rob and steal.....

Coretta Scott King died last night. It was the hot topic on NPR all day today.

I was well aware that active addiction had robbed me. Robbed me of self. Robbed me of thought and spirit. Robbed me of progress and goodwill. Robbed me of God. Of knowledge and reason. Robbed me of life.

I had a bittersweet moment today. When I was 18 and a freshman on scholarship at Augustana College, my addiction took hold of me. Hard. At some point during that year, Coretta Scott King came and spoke on my campus. I went. I don't remember a word of it.

The widow of a legend and a hell of a force for change of her own right, and I don't remember a word she said when I was in the very same room with her. Not one.

Just for today......
I will accept what has been robbed from me, the opportunities and the experiences that today, I would have cherished, but yesterday were a blurr. I will live today like each moment matters. Like each word is a gift. And I will have gratitude.

No comments: