Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I've watched her learn how to fly...

I crawled into my first day of rehab scared out of my mind. I sat at the end of the table next to a girl. In her eyes I saw more pain than I'd seen since I had looked in the mirror that morning. I could tell that she'd crawled in here too.

Her dark hair was tangled and pulled back and she fidgeted with an unlit cigarette and a lighter. There was no smoking inside. Break was two hours away.

She asked me, "Why are you here?" I told her, "Because I can't breath anymore." For a split second, her eyes softened.

We held onto each other for dear life. Two lost souls, desperate, afraid, shattered and determined. We were NOT going back to where we came from. And we didn't. And there were days that I made it through just because I told her I would. And she did the same.

We're still here. Holding onto each other for dear life. But we don't crawl anymore. We fly.

No comments: