Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Solutions

So, there comes a point in everybody's recovery when they can begin to recognize the problems which had been previously masked in denial, rationalization and dishonesty. It is a major accomplishment and indication of growth when these certain things, be they behaviors or obsessions, cause that not-so-comfy feeling in our gut and we know that we are a little (or a lot) off kilter. To begin to have negative gut reactions to negative thoughts or behaviors is a major milestone in recovery.

Now, further down the line, there comes a time when that negative gut reaction to that obsession or behavior is followed by an equally unpleasant feeling if we do not SEEK OUT AND ACT on a SOLUTION to whatever that problem might be. Let me explain.

For me, it was ENOUGH, for a while, that I had developed the ability to recognize when I was acting in conflict with my morals and values and/or entertaining an obsession, because the mere act of recognizing my unhealthy thoughts or behaviors was such tremendous growth. Recognition is no longer sufficient for my recovery today. If I do not begin to seek out solutions to avoid the patterns, then I am not in recovery today. It's do or die time, y'all. Do or die. Time to take that plunge into the unknown. And I am scared shitless.

No comments: